Today I want to share about the most common mistakes made in the English language. Even though we use them very often, we seem to make the mistakes.
First up, Who and Whom.
Who is a pronoun along with 'he', 'she', 'it', 'they', etc. It's used when pronoun acts as the subject of the passage, (e.g. Who loves you?). In the other hand, Whom is an object pronoun along with 'him', 'her', etc. It's used when pronoun acts as the object of the passage, (e.g. I asked a lawyer whom I met in Korea.).
Using who or whom depends on whether you’re referring to the subject or object of a sentence.
Secondly, Envy and Jealousy.
Envy is used for the longing of someone else's fortune (e.g. covet for a friend's good looks) while Jealousy is normally used for rivalry, often in sexual situations, (e.g. swoon over that good looking friend).
Now, the 's, 're, etc.
I found that this is the mistake that we make so much. We always accidentally, or unknowingly put it's for things like, the boy brought the lost dog to it's owner. However, that's wrong. It should be, the boy brought the lost dog to its owner. This is because, placing the 's on the word 'it' becomes either it is or it has. If you rewrite the sentence with it's, you are writing, the boy brought the dog to it is owner. Which is totally wrong. It's the same principle with 're you don't write, it's you're dog, that means you just wrote, it's you are dog. Yea. you got it wrong.
I and Me
'I' will always be the subject of the sentence whereas 'me' will be the object. (e.g. Can Josh and I go to the swimming pool?, Josh is going with me to the swimming pool.). Think i about is simply. It should always be, I am going to the swimming pool not me am going to the swimming pool. replace the 'me' and 'I's to see if the sentence makes sense.
Alot
A lot is two words. No exceptions. Don't argue with me, this is my homepage. If you think 'a lot' is one word lets make 'a little' one word as well.
Over instead of More than
First up, Who and Whom.
Who is a pronoun along with 'he', 'she', 'it', 'they', etc. It's used when pronoun acts as the subject of the passage, (e.g. Who loves you?). In the other hand, Whom is an object pronoun along with 'him', 'her', etc. It's used when pronoun acts as the object of the passage, (e.g. I asked a lawyer whom I met in Korea.).
Using who or whom depends on whether you’re referring to the subject or object of a sentence.
Secondly, Envy and Jealousy.
Envy is used for the longing of someone else's fortune (e.g. covet for a friend's good looks) while Jealousy is normally used for rivalry, often in sexual situations, (e.g. swoon over that good looking friend).
Now, the 's, 're, etc.
I found that this is the mistake that we make so much. We always accidentally, or unknowingly put it's for things like, the boy brought the lost dog to it's owner. However, that's wrong. It should be, the boy brought the lost dog to its owner. This is because, placing the 's on the word 'it' becomes either it is or it has. If you rewrite the sentence with it's, you are writing, the boy brought the dog to it is owner. Which is totally wrong. It's the same principle with 're you don't write, it's you're dog, that means you just wrote, it's you are dog. Yea. you got it wrong.
I and Me
'I' will always be the subject of the sentence whereas 'me' will be the object. (e.g. Can Josh and I go to the swimming pool?, Josh is going with me to the swimming pool.). Think i about is simply. It should always be, I am going to the swimming pool not me am going to the swimming pool. replace the 'me' and 'I's to see if the sentence makes sense.
Alot
A lot is two words. No exceptions. Don't argue with me, this is my homepage. If you think 'a lot' is one word lets make 'a little' one word as well.
Over instead of More than
Over is a special comparison. More than is appropriate for volume comparison.
references:
No comments:
Post a Comment